Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy LTS for Libre Computer Boards

I see the updates listed for the last few days on the original post, are there images to go with?

Should have a new set uploaded tomorrow. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ve tried using the file you pointed with a freshly formatted FAT32 drive, but the board doesn’t seem to do anything when connected to either of the usb ports. I’ve tried removing the eMMC flash as well. I’ve used this drive in the past to flash the firmware, so I know it works.

My current firmware is U-Boot 2021.07+ (Jul 27 2021) according to the board

Out of curiosity, for the AML-S905X-CC, can we just DD the raw block structure from the SD card to the eMMC (something along the lines of dd if=/dev/mmcblk1 of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1M) or will the final Ubuntu 22.04 build have a deployment tool similar to the lc_distro_transfer tool that was included in the Ubuntu 18.04 and Debian 9 images?

You need to use Win32DiskImager or equivalent to flash aml-s805x-ac-spiflash to the drive. It’s a raw disk dump, not a copy.

In La Frite, press escape and go to “Boot USB” and it should start the flash.

You can follow the steps here to expose the eMMC as a USB flash drive. Then just do dd of the raw image onto the eMMC. Be careful as to not wipe your own hard drive though. If this is intimidating, just use gnome-disk-utility to restore the raw image instead.

Perfect, thanks! I already used that procedure to wipe the emmc partition table and bootloader before, didn’t know it could be used to flash images too. That’s really convenient!

u-boot can only drive the OTG port in PIO rather than DMA mode so you’re limited to about 10MB/s using this method. It might be faster to boot into Linux on a MicroSD card and then dd from Linux to the eMMC from an image on the MicroSD card if the image is huge.

Sorry, I thought the procedure only required copying the files to an empty drive, like it used to be with old firmware updates. I did flash the firmware using Rufus and everything went smooth. I’ll check if the network issues are now gone soon.
Thanks!!

1 Like

While I am able to boot from the armbian eMMC image I have installed, I haven’t been able to boot any image from USB. I previously pressed ESC and selected Boot USB in order to do that, but now it goes into the uboot console right away. I tried using the command bootflow to boot from USB without much luck. How can I get the system to boot from USB from uboot console without removing the eMMC module from the board?

We have to re-implement the bootmenu to sync with some changes in upstream u-boot. You can press escape and then enter “run bootcmd_usb0” for now.

Since the changes are pending and won’t be ready until October, we’ll wait til then to finalize the bootmenu.

I get the following error when trying to boot the Ubuntu image following your procedure

** Unable to read file ubootefi.var **
Failed to load EFI variables
BootOrder not defined
EFI boot manager: Cannot load any image
Found EFI removable media binary efi/boot/bootaa64.efi
1886088 bytes read in 53 ms (33.9 MiB/s)
Booting /efi\boot\bootaa64.efi
EFI stub: Booting Linux Kernel...
EFI stub: Using DTB from configuration table
EFI stub: Exiting boot services...
domain-0 init dvfs: 4
[BL31]: tee size: 0

This is also what I got before using bootflow.
Same thing happens when trying to boot an openSUSE tumbleweed image.
Could this be related to DTB changes in the new firmware?

1. Which board are you running on.
  2. Which image are you running.
  3. Is that taken from the UART console or somewhere else?
  4. Tumbleweed kernel might not have an ethernet patch so your ethernet PHY might not work.

I’m running La Frite using the Ubuntu 22.04 server image from August 21 provided for this board. I’m monitoring the board through UART, but a monitor is also conected if its relevant

** Unable to read file ubootefi.var **
Failed to load EFI variables
BootOrder not defined
EFI boot manager: Cannot load any image

These are just generic warnings and can be ignored.

Found EFI removable media binary efi/boot/bootaa64.efi
1886088 bytes read in 53 ms (33.9 MiB/s)
Booting /efi\boot\bootaa64.efi
EFI stub: Booting Linux Kernel…
EFI stub: Using DTB from configuration table
EFI stub: Exiting boot services…
domain-0 init dvfs: 4
[BL31]: tee size: 0

These are normal messages about booting.

The boot process stops at that point, and even after several minutes I don’t get a login prompt or anything else

I assume the ethernet patch isn’t yet on linux mainline, but it is present on the v5.19/libretech-master branch on the libre-computer github repo, isn’t it?

Yes the PHY register needs to be set: dwmac-meson8b: add reg 2 phy cfg · libre-computer-project/libretech-linux@1a4004c · GitHub

1 Like

I tried compiling a few missing modules (/pps/clients/pps-gpio and /tty/serial/sc16is7xx with both i2c and spi support), unfortunately there’s a mismatch in the kernel version between what’s available on github (5.19.6) and the latest pushed by updates from the Libre Computer repository (5.19.8-03347-g542d481c2a42).

Would it be possible to either update the github kernel to that version, make the source for the matching compiled kernel available directly on the repository or enable those modules in your next build?

1 Like

It should be pushed to the deb servers by CI shortly. You can open a GitHub issue with the configs you need in the future. As for the code base, you can just fetch stable and then rebase.

1 Like