How would I install Home assistant on la potato?

Is this possible? Would it function the same?

1 Like

I glimpsed at it briefly. It’s using docker so the Pi 4 images should work if you just run Raspbian Portability.

Thanks I’ll let you know.

If not, let us know. It is an easy port.

I got it to work. Im struggling with install home assistant on Raspbian. I dont really understand docker.

Im following this: How to Install Portainer on a Raspberry Pi in 2022

Im stuck here:
ha@ha:~ $ ha@ha:~ $ sudo docker pull portainer/portainer:linux-arm
linux-arm: Pulling from portainer/portainer
Digest: sha256:1bbceab53261abd841b6a8fa8c3e47534b9be989991586b338fde865e54a7ef5
Status: Image is up to date for portainer/portainer:linux-arm
docker.io/portainer/portainer:linux-arm
ha@ha:~ $ sudo docker run --restart always -d -p 9000:9000 -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock -v portainer_data:/data portainer/portainer-ce:linux-arm
Unable to find image ‘portainer/portainer-ce:linux-arm’ locally
linux-arm: Pulling from portainer/portainer-ce
docker: no matching manifest for linux/arm64/v8 in the manifest list entries.
See ‘docker run --help’.

I got it working. These didnt match, so i took out the -ce on the second longer command.

sudo docker pull portainer/portainer:linux-arm
portainer/portainer-ce:linux-arm

I have Home assistant running on Raspbian on the le potato. If it continues to work this is great!

2 Likes

We try our best. Let us know if you need help with anything else.

I’m finding that I only installed home assistant container. Some of the functionality is limited with the container. What would it take to get the Home Assistant OS for the potato?

Or the supervised version. i tried and got errors. Any ideas?
using: https://peyanski.com/how-to-install-home-assistant-supervised-official-way/

ha@ha:~ $ sudo dpkg -i homeassistant-supervised.deb
(Reading database … 127313 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack homeassistant-supervised.deb …
[warn]
[warn] If you want more control over your own system, run
[warn] Home Assistant as a VM or run Home Assistant Core
[warn] via a Docker container.
[warn]
[warn] ModemManager service is enabled. This might cause issue when using serial devices.
Leaving ‘diversion of /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf to /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.real by homeassistant-supervised’
Leaving ‘diversion of /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/default to /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/default.real by homeassistant-supervised’
Leaving ‘diversion of /etc/docker/daemon.json to /etc/docker/daemon.json.real by homeassistant-supervised’
Leaving ‘diversion of /etc/network/interfaces to /etc/network/interfaces.real by homeassistant-supervised’
Unpacking homeassistant-supervised (1.3.1) over (1.3.1) …
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of homeassistant-supervised:
homeassistant-supervised depends on os-agent.
homeassistant-supervised depends on systemd-journal-remote; however:
Package systemd-journal-remote is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package homeassistant-supervised (–install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
homeassistant-supervised

1 Like

Run sudo apt install -f if dpkg has unmet dependencies.

1 Like

Were you able to install HAOS? Or did you stick with the supervised version?

From what I can tell, the Homeassistant OS image can’t use the “Portability” app because it doesn’t allow a true terminal. It allows a buildroot terminal only, or a terminal inside the docker containers.

The supervised version will run fully support, but only if you use the Plain Debian 11 Os directly. No flavors (raspian/armbian/ubuntu).

I did run it “unsupported” in armbian once but when I went to reinstall after an SD card died on me I had troubles with the newest version. Debian worked for me though.

Only issue right now is reboots done via ssh terminal tend to make the card hang.

edit:

oh. and 3.5mm audio out. that one is bugging me still.

From what I can tell, the Homeassistant OS image can’t use the “Portability” app because it doesn’t allow a true terminal. It allows a buildroot terminal only, or a terminal inside the docker containers.

Not sure what a “true” terminal means nor “buildroot” terminals. There are VTTs, PTTs, terminals that run on top of GUI. Don’t see how any of it would impact docker.

Only issue right now is reboots done via ssh terminal tend to make the card hang.

Do you have the MicroSD card make and model? We will test.

oh. and 3.5mm audio out. that one is bugging me still.

What’s wrong with 3.5mm CVBS out?

Not sure what a “true” terminal means nor “buildroot” terminals. There are VTTs, PTTs, terminals that run on top of GUI. Don’t see how any of it would impact docker.

I’m probably using the wrong terminology here. Most of my Linux knowledge is self-taught hobby-related over the years and woefully incomplete.

Homeassistant has multiple installation methods.
If you want the “full features” and also want to keep the option of official support, you need to do one of the following:

1. A “Supervised” installation (Essentially a VERY Specific set of requirements including apparmor/etc, with a specific set of docker containers that are watched over by a “Supervisor” Docker Container that manages parts of the underlying OS and the other docker containers.) that is ONLY supported on vanilla Debian of the current stable version.

2. “The Home Assistant OS” which is essentially a Hypervisor that handles the docker containers mentioned in the Supervised-Style Setup. The OS is very limited. As I understand it, they used “Buildroot” to create an embedded Linux OS that is very restricted. No package managers, nor ways to compile/add them. They appear to actively want to prevent modification of the underlying OS, which is likely the reason for this.

In the end I chose the supervised option because I prefer to have access to the debian OS while still retaining a “supported” status. There are ways to get supervised installations working in Raspian and other flavors, but again that “Unsupported” flag is exactly what I want to avoid.

I looked for a way to adapt the OS Image as well when I first saw your portability app, and tried myself and was unable to do much because of the limits of the terminal. I’m sure there are ways around this, but nothing occurred to me offhand within the constraints. I eventually came across this thread (and a few other similar ones), maybe it will make more sense than I do?

Do you have the MicroSD card make and model? We will test.

The MicroSD Make/Model is a PNY Elite-X. I don’t think this was the fault of the SD card however. This was an issue that affected the 5.18 kernel linked in the Presentation I mentioned in my other post. As soon as I went back to the 5.10 kernel, no more boot issues.

What’s wrong with 3.5mm CVBS out?

The audio is likely an issue with the Alsa settings. I found some information shortly after my original post but haven’t yet had a chance to test it out.

1 Like