Libre Computer Raspbian Portability Feedback

No, we will not support anything other than normal Raspbian. The compatibility matrix will become huge if we try to add support for other images and we do not have the engineering bandwidth to test. We recommend that you ask the image makers to just have their software in a standard deb package.

Is anyone saying that they have got either ASL / Allstar Shari OR a PiStar type MMDVM to work on the Libre le Potato? If so, please, please explain how you have done it, I have run out of ideas entirely.

I have compiled MMDVMHost and DMRGateway and used a MMDVM hotspot with an AURSINC GPIO <—> USB board, and that works fine, but I cannot for the life of me get the hat to operate directly on the Libre board.

If someone has done this with ASL, all the better, I will order more boards today. But it seemed impossible to get ASL running, given the ancient software versions they rely on. I am pretty sure the current version of Asterisk for Allstar was written on a combination of cave walls, and an abacus…

ASL uses an out of tree module that does not compile properly on Linux 5.17+. The ASL owners need to update their code for the latest Linux.

Fully understood and agreed that this particular issue is not Libre, it is ASL. ASL is conceptually brilliant, IMHO, but you pretty much have to start the package by standing out in front of the radiator and manually turning a crank until Debian 9 kicks in.

I am in no position to complain, the folks behind the project are gurus compared to me, and the project itself is conceptually pretty awesome. But ASL still lends the feeling of working with an abacus.

I have been unable to get it to work. It would have to be built from scratch. I tried building allstar to from the online scripts but could not get it to run. I have not tried every option yet but it looks like one driver only works with Arch Linux. Open Repeater should work as its running on Raspbian and the conversion script will work with that. If we can find a Arch Linux image that will boot then we can likely build it onto that.

Hello @librecomputer I have a Raspbian image that I have ran the porting program on and the image is not booting on a Libre Le Potato board. If I were to send an image to you is there any way you can run the porting program and troubleshoot the issue?

Hey @GeertVc to get the Libre to detect the MCP23017, did you need an additional overlay?

I am having troubles getting the MCP23017 to be recognized with the i2c_AO overlay and have not had any luck on the custom overlays.

Thank you!

This tool only supports standard Raspbian images as outlined in the readme. Please post the logs if it does not work. We do not support porting custom images.