Troubleshooting Boot Issues on Libre Computer AML-S905X-CC

This is mentioned in step 2 of the General Troubleshooting Guide.

Soā€¦ random compressed files on the USB drive may have been tricking LePotato into attempting a boot from themā€¦ LOLā€¦ Iā€™ll check the USB drives from now on, believing that SanDisk just makes low quality drives was easyā€¦ but I wonā€™t write them a bad review now, thanks KJX.

I had problems with no HDMI output. The HDMI cable I was using was just working on my RPI. I tried another cable and it worked fine. Another thing to add to the ā€˜check thisā€™ list for boot problems.

We need more information. Do you have the proper software on the MicroSD card?

Just got the Le Potato AML-S905X-CC today.

It just refuses to boot altogether. Iā€™ve tried multiple MicroSD cards. Iā€™ve tried multiple USB power cables. Thereā€™s power getting to the board because I see the red and blue lights, but thatā€™s all that happens. Any ideas?

What OS image did you load onto the SD card?

Most likely one of the two:

1. Didnā€™t extract the image. Windows hides file extensions by default which is probably the dumbest feature ever.
  2. The flash tool you are using did not flash properly or you didnā€™t select the right device.

If itā€™s the latter, dd works on mac. (Donā€™t mean to assume your os or anything)

I tried installing the Server image, checked it multiple times, is the correct image.

It boots then does this, then shuts off. I canā€™t get a wireless keyboard to work with it.
would anyone have any ideas about this?

It gives me the typical linux boot screen

and then does this and shuts off

This is most likely a power problem. Please read the OP.

I have the exact same problem as above. this is my 3rd board. first 2 are perfect from last year. this one is new just arrived today. tried raspbian and ubuntu images, different SD cards, same SD from another board, etc. using identical power supply from my other 2. tried swapping them as well. I really dont think itā€™s a power supply issue.

EFI stub: Booting Linux Kernel...
EFI stub: Using DIB from configuration table
EFI stub: Exiting boot services.

Thanks for playing, I tried swapping to a Pi 4 psu on your suggestion just now and it still does it.

If you have an USB UART cable, you can tell the exact reason by hooking it up and getting the logs. Itā€™ll tell you what went wrong. You can also manually edit the boot command line and add noquiet.

Press e at the grub menu and then add noquiet to the linux command line.

1 Like

Could you provide references or links that provide the information on how to perform this operation with the USB UART cable specifically for our Le Potato (AML-S905X-CC)?

Or if itā€™s 100% the same as the procedure for a Raspberry Pi then can you please state that definitively?

Iā€™m new to this forum. However, I can see from reading through this post that many of the users here are very non-tech savvy people;

The few guys above need to read up on zip files and what they are as user Luke_Burgess now thinks that random pieces of zip files come preloaded on brand new sd cards from the store and is most likely very paranoid (unnecessarily so by the way) of purchasing sd cards. If youā€™re reading this then please know that you yourself probably copied a zip file to the sd card. It did NOT come on there preloaded.

Any offerings of advice on this forum should contain complete instructions or links pointing to said instructions in order to better assist your customer/fan/tinkernaut-base.

Very generalized responses are only going to result in accidents, more confusion and then 10 times more posts on here to junk things up.

I myself somewhat appreciate generalized info and responses as it forces me to research DD for example and learn about it extensively before use. My command for the emmc flashing differed a bit such as status=progress to see the % completed and Iā€™m not sure if you had the conv=fsync in there but I added that as well. There was a lot of conflicting info on which sync option to use. Some sources said conv=sync is all you need to do now and that it will sync the data and metadata but I chose conv=fsync just in case.

The problem isnā€™t getting people to do their own research anymore. The problem is people who have no idea what theyā€™re talking about giving terrible advice all across the internet. Then you get people pulling bad or very often outdated info and advice and then regurgitating it back onto this forum (or other forums) and confusing the heck out of people or turning their devices into bricks.

If no ideal instructions / links are available letā€™s post a response requesting any users of whom can be of assistance to step forward and provide a working set of instructions. It can then be stickied, posted on here and linked to, etc.

Donā€™t be afraid to admit if you guys yourselves donā€™t have an answer. Most of us will understand and Iā€™m pretty sure we all just want the truth in the end. We can all get there togetherā€¦wellā€¦perhaps soberly I should add.

Thanks and no offense intended!

1 Like

Hi, as one of the people who answered questions about flashing here, and a fellow hobbyist, Iā€™m glad to hear you opinion on how I spend my limited free time answering questions here.

Watch now as I trip over myself to google your question for you.

Sorry Angus, perhaps I should have specified that I wasnā€™t referring to the hobbyist community itself here but rather the mods. Is it too much to ask that the need for cross searching topics be kept at a minimum? Perhaps youā€™re younger and have time but my time isnā€™t plentiful unfortunately. How can you possibly know what level of environmental toxins Iā€™ve been exposed to over the course of my life-time that might be making sifting through this technical data very hard to do so? Iā€™m in NY state btw in the jet stream of OHIO - EAST PALESTINE. Just another thing added to whatever else Iā€™ve been struggling with. Sorry, but be more considerate of all situations people might be dealing with. I have other health issues as well. I couldā€™ve also been a 9yo but Iā€™m not but just saying. I want answers in one place. That makes sense to me. Does it NOT make sense to you. Thereā€™s a lot of variables with these chips, SBCs, different OSes, etc. Please donā€™t play it off like you havenā€™t suffered sleepless nights over pouring over so much data that ended up being useless, irrelevant, etc. Iā€™m just trying to help others make sense of this subject more easily.

Iā€™m trying to flash Plasma Bigscreen os on Le Potato but it doesnā€™t seem work, the green light just doesnā€™t show up. I really wanted to flash it on to the board, what do I need to do for it to boot?

Do not double post the same issue on multiple theads. Use a new thread as this has no relevance to boot issues for official images.