Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy LTS for Libre Computer Boards

That looks correct. You shouldn’t need to do the wipe or the fdisk.
I just downloaded and burned the Ubuntu 22.10 server image and it worked fine on AML-S805X-AC. What u-boot version is your board currently running?

It is running 2019.04

Where did you get the image from? Our stuff is 20.04 or newer.

That’s what the board came with, I got it 2 weeks ago from the libre shop at amazon. So I guess I should flash it?

Yes you should flash it with our images. Not sure how it came with any image as our official distributors do not sell any devices with storage. It must be an Amazon mixup.

Ok, I am following this guide but nothing happens:

It goes through the normal booting cycle. Since it has older firmware, do I need to do the update using the usb A-A method?

This instruction updates to the latest firmware regardless of what firmware you have on the board. Also La Frite is not sold on Amazon not sure which product exactly that you have.

Ah, you are correct, I got it from loverpi, just verified the invoice. I was starting to get worried that I got some bootleg sbc.

Did you select boot from USB from the old firmware?

No such option appears, it just tries different mediums automatically, starting from emmc to usb to tftp (not in that exact order). I need to press esc to cancel and drop to a shell.

When you plug the flashed flash drive into a computer, do you see boot.scr file? If not, you need to reflash the aml-s805x-ac-spiflash file on the USB drive.

Ok, I flashed an 8GB drive with the image file in the tutorial, then I could see that it created a partition that had a boot.scr and a u-boot.bin file. I put it on the board and it picked it up right to the point where “Flash completed” was displayed.

I turned it off then I plugged the usb with the ubuntu image and turned it on, but now I don’t have HDMI output :smiling_face_with_tear: I am going to plug an ethernet cable to see if it actually boots.

I flashed the firmware with

dd if=aml-s805x-ac-spiflash of=/dev/sdc bs=1M status=progress```

The Ubuntu image is 22.04 or 19.04? The latest firmware probably don’t work with the old images since the kernel on the old images are out of date.

The ubuntu image is 22.04, I downloaded it from distro.libre.computer. Also, when I mention I no longer have hdmi, I mean the screen doesn’t display anything when I turn on the board.

Just tested a board here with both firmwares and HDMI definitely works on both for 22.04.

Finally had the chance to try this, it works–thanks. If an update comes, will that require reflashing, or can it be pushed via deb or something?

Only the bootloader isn’t pushed by the debs. You don’t have to re-flash. The bootloader can be flashed by an functionality update to the the libretech-flash-tool we will introduce in the future.

New tools are introduced via debs as well like the libretech-gpio and libretech-ldto. Newer images just include them but you can still apt get them to install on older images.

2 Likes

Sounds great! Looking fwd!

Anything issues to report about kernel 6.0 and the le potato? The update happened yesterday, but I’m not at the install location and won’t be back there for a bit so I’m reticent to actually go ahead and blindly reboot.

The images are already using Linux 6.0.7. If you want to stick to Linux 5.19, install linux-image-lc-5.19-ARCH and remove linux-image-lc-stable-ARCH.

1 Like