Creating Custom Overlays (for ATTINY2313A I2C Interfacing)

I wish to use I2C to receive user input information from a ATTINY2313A. The user inputs will be handled in a Python script, but I first need to figure out how to make a custom overlay for the microcontroller. I am by no means decent at software design, and I have spent too many hours trying to figure this out myself.

I have looked at the wiring tool information, the github for said wiring tool, and the raspberry pi firmware/boot/overlays github. I am stumped at what I should be doing. About as far as I have gotten is making a dts file, but I doubt even that is correct.

Is there a good resource for helping me understand how to make custom overlays?

ATTINY2313A is a microcontroller with customizable code and thus interface. This is not an overlay problem but rather what code you load onto the microcontroller. I2C bus is a standard bus and there’s nothing special there. If you want to interact with the microcontroller over I2C, you have to learn how I2C works and create/load the appropriate code onto that MCU.

Okay. I know how to program the MCU for I2C, but I am not sure how to deal with it on the Le Potato’s end. How would I go about doing this? I saw there is a difference in using (Python) SPI on Le Potato and Raspberry Pi. This is what made me think I need to create an overlay.

Would I be able to just apply the i2c-ao overlay and use adafruit-extended-bus or smbus modules for my Python program?

You have to ask the appropriate party about this. We just provide standard I2C interface.