Improving Dosbox Performance

Hi there!

I’m using the Le Potato AML-S905X-CC as a vintage mini “IBM/PC Classic”-type gaming computer for old DOS games, and I successfully flashed Raspian 11 onto an SD card and got it booted up/online. I’ve also installed Dosbox as well and put the shareware version of Doom on there, just as a test. Doom actually is really choppy though, and I’m wondering if there’s a way to get it to run a bit better. If I can get Doom or Duke Nukem 3D to play smoothly, that’s the maximum performance I’m basically looking to get out of it for this project.

Is it choppy because the CPU isn’t fast enough? Or, are there software configurations I can do in Dosbox to maybe increase its performance? After looking around online I did find some Dosbox configuration settings to try, but I don’t know if these will actually work (I’m currently not home right now so I can’t test yet):

fullresolution=640x480
output=openglnb
memsize=16
scaler=none
core=dynamic
cycles=max

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. I really like this little board, I’m just hoping I can squeeze a bit more performance out of it. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Update:
I had a chance to try the above Dosbox configuration, but that did not improve the framerate.
However in the game itself, there’s a way to lower the graphics and that helped a bit.

The GPU does not support OpenGL, only OpenGL ES. Dosbox on Lakka or Batocera should work at full speed.