Le Potato CPUINFO does not show the CPU chip ID or model

Now that Adafruit has updated all there i2c and gpio libraries, there and other programs who look to see what CPU chip is installed. but the output of the /proc/cpuinfo does not have the needed information that most libraries are looking for to load the correct tables for the GPIO pins. Can this be fixed via board firmware update? I know it is not software as it is the same on the 3 different styles of images

processor : 0
BogoMIPS : 48.00
Features : fp asimd evtstrm aes pmull sha1 sha2 crc32 cpuid
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 8
CPU variant : 0x0
CPU part : 0xd03
CPU revision : 4

processor : 1

processor : 2

processor : 3

pi@lepotato:~/Test_WTR/WTR_temp$ more /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0

processor : 1

processor : 2

processor : 3

Raspberry Pi does some non-standard manipulation of /proc/cpuinfo in their Linux. This method of detection is not supported by anything outside of the Raspberry Pi and Raspbian combination. We recommend using industry standard DMI interface sysfs entries instead of the non-standard Pi method.

/sys/class/dmi/id/board_name
/sys/class/dmi/id/board_vendor

Thank you for this information. I looked to see if I could fid this and it is not there ???

/sys/class/dmi/id/board_name
/sys/class/dmi/id/board_vendor

/sys/class$ ls
backlight gpio mem regulator scsi_host vfio
bdi graphics misc rfkill sound video4linux
block hidraw mmc_host rtc spi_master virtio-ports
bsg hnae mtd sas_device spi_slave vtconsole
chromeos hwmon net sas_end_device tee wakeup
devcoredump i2c-adapter pci_bus sas_expander thermal watchdog
devfreq i2c-dev phy sas_host tpm zram-control
devlink input power_supply sas_phy tpmrm
dma iommu pps sas_port tty
drm leds ptp scsi_device udc
extcon lirc pwm scsi_disk usb_role
firmware mdio_bus rc scsi_generic vc

NOW wouldn’t it be great if you, the manufacture of the board would want it to work with one of the biggest suppler of the pi and NON-pi expansion boards. There program to detect the boards works on many other non-pi boards as well as willing to add more. Please work with them to get this affordable alterative to the pi. as soon as I can get it to do what I need to I will need at least 150 of them. But I am also working with the Rock pi and that board is detected just fine… So I guess what I am saying is, why are you not wanting to improve your reputation in the maker’s community…

Maybe fork there GitHub and help them make there “project suite” work with all of your board options.

Please use the official software. Your gpiomon issue is already escalated to P1 priority with our engineering team.

We are a company focused on upstream and standards. We fund quite a bit of the upstream work you enjoy in random-fruit-Pi boards. Our engineering resources are committed to this to everyone’s benefit. We don’t have the engineering bandwidth to go fixing other companies’ various pet projects. We help makers by providing them with standard libraries and tooling so they don’t re-invent the wheel. If there’s a problem with the standard libraries and tooling, we commit resources to fix them in their respective upstream projects so the entire community benefits.

The random-fruit-Pi companies are focused on providing ad-hoc patches that mask and even promote non-standard software, methods, and tooling. They rarely commit significant resources doing things the right way nor do they contribute much in foundational upstream work.

I recommend that you open a ticket on Adafruit’s project and request that they add proper detection methods via DMI that comply with Linux and industry standards.

Thank you for your efforts, I am so upset that i can not get this board to count pulses from anemometer and let me do math with the output in python. I have figured out all my i2c issues, my usb cell modem issues, my HTML server issues. In python, I now only need to count from gpio input and monitor one for the Waveshare power hat (wired up only what is needed not via the 40pin header) .

We should be able to fix gpiomon this week. The worst case is that we give you an LTS kernel to install.

Thank you very much. I chose this bd because of all the great specs and the reviews from the Kickstarter campaign when it first came out. The bd has been around for awhile. I was hoping better documentation on this bd. That being said. I am vey happy on how fast you work on issues people bring up with you.

This history on the topic is as follows:

Back in 2016:
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-arm-kernel/patch/1476871709-8359-5-git-send-email-jbrunet@baylibre.com/

Recently in 2020:
https://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/2012.0/05776.html

The patch to enable gpiomon is here: build/jethome-0005-Fix-meson64-add-gpio-irq-patch-from-https-lkml.org-l.patch at master · armbian/build · GitHub

Armbian includes this patch in their build. However this patch can cause other things to fail. We will inquire about this and get back to you.

thank you, very much. I am waiting for This os to work as I need it to. Armbian is ok but I rather have a better choice.

I too couldn’t find a CPU serial number or board identifier. Even tried the standard Linux, dmidecode.

Best I could come up with was the permanent MAC address of the wired LAN port,

ethtool -P eth0

1 Like

This is an omission. We will develop a fix this shortly for ROC-RK3328-CC.