Recommended Bit Accurate Flashing Tools

Windows:

Linux: dd or Gnome Disk Utility
macOS: Disk Utility

wget -O - 'URL' | xz -dc | sudo dd of=/dev/DEVICE bs=1M status=progress
# replace URL with the link to the image, do not remove quote
# replace DEVICE with the target drive such as sdX or mmcblkX, this will be different on macOS

Please note that Raspberry Pi Imager may work for you but if your board doesn’t boot or your image has issues booting, we recommend using the tools above.

Linux: libretech-flash-tool currently for bootloaders only but will support images

2 Likes

what about Etcher? it has a verify test at the end of flashing

BalenaEtcher is based on NodeJS so it uses a lot of library layers to flash. We have found it to be unreliable on some systems and it has repeatedly caused issues for some users. You are free to try it but if the image exhibit certain bugs, it might be due to the tool. We do not recommend if other options are available due to the field failures.

It has optimizations that skips certain necessary writes and cause disk corruption. Some version of BalenaEtcher have settings that can turn it off but this is a potential risk for us to recommend since users don’t read instructions in full. Thus, we prefer tools that will write a complete clean image by default rather than have users troubleshoot something out of the box.

3 Likes

I tried win32diskimager, but it doesn’t seem to be working on windows 11. Doesn’t even come up after installing. I’ve tried Rufus with the headless Debian image but the screen didn’t come up, which it should come up with a CLI, trying Ubutnu now

Do you have Google Drive?

Also try to turn on Windows 10 Compatibility Mode.

1 Like

What about raspberry pi imager?

1 Like

I used win32diskimager this morning to put one of Libre’s distros on a MicroSD. Worked fine.

And I have Windows 11 Pro on this machine. Just F.Y.I.

I see a lot of people having trouble with that bloated proprietary monstrosity Windows. I use Ubuntu as my daily driver, and I’ve never had any problems flashing because Linux is just freakin’ better a good stable platform for this kind of work.

All jokes aside, maybe create an Ubuntu live USB and use dd? It’s never done me wrong. Just take care not to erase your boot drive, there are no training-wheels with this method.

I use Raspberry Pi Imager v1.7.2 on a RPi 4 4Gig USE CUSTOM.
Images I have successfully written for ROC-RK3328-CC (Renegade) are…
LibreELEC-RK3328.arm-9.2.6-roc-cc.img.gz
LibreELEC-RK3328.arm-11.0.1-roc-cc.img.gz
ROC-RK3328-CC_Android7.1.2_180411.img.gz
ubuntu-22.04.1-preinstalled-desktop-arm64+roc-rk3328-cc.img.xz,
ubuntu-22.10-preinstalled-desktop-arm64+roc-rk3328-cc.img.xz, Armbian_23.02.2_Renegade_jammy_current_5.15.93_xfce_desktop.img.xz,
2022-09-22-raspbian-bullseye-arm64+roc-rk3328-cc.img.xz,
I got a report when trying to write a Debian Image that was Not a multiple of 512 bytes. and the imager would not Write it at all but reported it, other Image writing tools also failed even though they claimed a successful write. The board would not Boot with the written SD card.
The Imager works for me and the SD’s written can also be copied with the RPI SD Card Copier.
!!! Might Avoid Onn SD Cards!

1 Like

Is there another recommendation for Macs? Disk Utility is not able to flash OS images.

Does mac have dd on the command line? I know they’re unix-based, but I wasn’t much of a command line guy back in my mac days.

If they do just be careful, they don’t call it “disk destroyer” for nothing.

1 Like

Yes they have command line. I’ll proceed with caution. Thanks for your reply :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can Chromebook recovery tool be used to flash Libre image?

No, that is for restoring Chromebooks only.

So for MacOS, the recommended tool for flash the SD card is Disk Utility - great, but how?

Restore Image? We don’t have any Macs. There should be guides on YouTube.

The ‘Restore’ button in Disk Utility gives me ‘Could not recognize “/Downloads/ubuntu-22.04.3-preinstalled-server-arm64+aml-s905x-cc.img” as an image file’

I also didn’t have any luck with Gnome Disk Utility

sudo dd if=input.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M status=progress worked fine on linux

balenaEtcher also worked flawlessly on macOS for me

You may also try Rufus available for various platforms.

It allows flashing Linux images Raspberry Pi OS on SD cards, and is a great replacement for the legacy Win23DiskImager tool.