Renegade Realtek Wifi Dongles Connect to Network but not Internet

I have a Libre Renegade running Ubuntu 22 with a Realtek TP-Link TL-WN725N (RTL8188EUS) and a Realtek RTL8723BU connected, each one connects to my network but not the internet, does anyone have an idea why?

1 Like

Probably you have the DNS settings set incorrectly. Try pinging 8.8.8.8. If that works, it’s your DNS that is not setup correctly.

Thank you for the quick response, pinging 8.8.8.8 did work but changing the DNS did not. I should point out that I don’t have internet access on Ubuntu 22 with any usb dongle or ethernet, but when I use Raspberry Pi OS or Armbian I do have internet, with Armbian the dongles and ethernet both work.

How are you modifying the DNS settings? What is /etc/resolv.conf pointed to? Is it a hard file or using resolvconf or using systemd-resolve?

Originally I just changed the DNS addresses in the network GUI, but then I looked in the resolv.conf.

This is what is in the resolv.conf it seems to be a systemd symlink, and the nameserver seems to be an internal address that directs DNS servers.

nameserver 127.0.0.53
options edns0 trust-ad
search .

This is what is in resolvetcl status:

$ resolvectl status
Global
Protocols: -LLMNR -mDNS -DNSOverTLS DNSSEC=no/unsupported
resolv.conf mode: stub
Global
Protocols: -LLMNR -mDNS -DNSOverTLS DNSSEC=no/unsupported
resolv.conf mode: stub

Link 2 (eth0)
Current Scopes: none
Protocols: -DefaultRoute +LLMNR -mDNS -DNSOverTLS
DNSSEC=no/unsupported

Link 3 (wlx0013eff200ec)
Current Scopes: none
Protocols: -DefaultRoute +LLMNR -mDNS -DNSOverTLS
DNSSEC=no/unsupported

Link 4 (ipv6leakintrf0)
Current Scopes: DNS
Protocols: +DefaultRoute +LLMNR -mDNS -DNSOverTLS
DNSSEC=no/unsupported
Current DNS Server: ::1
DNS Servers: ::1
DNS Domain: ~.

There’s either a problem with your DHCP server or the DHCP client is not setting the proper values for resolved. By default, this should work so did you do anything before trying to setup network on the image?

No, I have been using this Ubuntu OS for several months with no issues then the other day internet just stopped. I normally use ethernet and I tried to use a wifi dongle but other than that I haven’t done anything else.

I recently connected a dongle which looked like it worked, however no actual internet. On reboot the bootloader would hang on that usb device, when removed, no problem. My guess is there is not enough power to run this straight on a port on the device - powered usb hub time.

Thank you Morgan, one of the first things I tried was changing power supplies and removing a usb hub for the same reason. I actually solved this problem already I just haven’t had the chance to post it. Essentially what I had to do is manually set the symlink here is a link to the information that helped me: resolved.conf(5) — Arch manual pages

1 Like

Oh nice, thank you. I will try this myself if it becomes a problem for me.