ROC-RK3328-CC Poor Kodi Performance

Hi guys,

I’m using the Ubuntu Base image on eMMC. After running Kodi for the first time using a 1080p, h.264 video file on a very fast USB 3.0 memory stick plugged into a powered hub, I’m seeing roughly 5fps. I was expecting very smooth video, what can I do to increase framerate?

Thanks!

Ubuntu is not designed as a media centric OS. If you want Kodi, use LibreELEC.

Can confirm LibreELEC cranks out 4K videos just fine, thanks!

1 Like

Just tried Libreelec for the first time.

after trying some movies my question is:
is there actually a hardware decoding for h265 / hevc?

my tests with 5 h264 and 5 h265 videos on 1080p seem to indicate that there is noticable stutter on 265
everything with 264 runs flawlessly

RK3328 should be using hardware acceleration for H.265. Post on the LibreELEC forum and then post a link to that thread here.

Actually after testing again the videos play just fine

just did not get to output 5.1 over hdmi
always just plays on 2.0 on my receiver

Piggybacking off this, but I noticed playing 4K h265 HDR on the RK3328 has frame stutters. 4k is the only thing that does this on my one 4k TV. 1080p and under content plays fine. Is there anything I can check or set hardware wise (overclocking?) to help with this?

This is not an overclock or no overclock issue. It’s about software support for the advanced display capabilities. LibreELEC is based on the upstream software and while work is continuously improving, it is not as full featured as the Rockchip’s BSP (kernel + userspace software). Some of the more corner case support will not be as good on upstream Linux that LibreELEC uses.

If you run into issues with LibreELEC, do post into their forums as it will give LibreELEC developers feedback.

Is there an image I could try from you all to just see how it handles 4k h265? I did make a post on their forums, but response tends to be slow.

Thanks.

You can try the Firefly images with Android and downstream Linux. We do not support downstream Linux.

So would I need to run an older build that is linked there of LibreELEC, Android or Ubuntu to get better support?

Also, none of the specs tell me what the ram is supposed to run at speed wise but mine is clocking in at 332Mhz and folks on the LibreELEC forums have said that can be an issue being slower and even said I was probably experiencing slow menu GUI interaction which is true. It is very slow frame rate wise even in the menu at 1080p. Tried a custom boot loader from a dev over there to see if it can up the speed of the ram but it never would boot after I flashed the patch. Any thoughts?

We have the DRAM reclocking code on our GitHub. We can check LibreELEC and fix the issue there but it will take a bit of time as we work through our engineering queue.

1 Like

Awesome. Not trying to rush. Just happy to help and identify this as an issue.

Also, I’m running on nightly builds for 11.x I believe. Should I try and go back to version 10.x of their builds and compare?

Also, where on your github is that reclocking at? I’m browsing on it and just interested since I’m a software dev myself.

Thanks

You can try replacing libreelec’s bootloader with ours using libretech-flash-tool against the image. This will init the RAM as the normal speed.

Is it also uboot? Is there any guides on that?

Thanks.

Yeah when I try to flash it with a brand new image created on my SD card, it doesn’t boot. I just get red flashing light over and over with no video out on HDMI. I don’t have a UART to see the serial output. Guess should order one.