Ubuntu 22.04.1 Jammy LTS Server Release Notes

This was pushed to our servers about a week ago.

You can get cheap dongles here: GenBasic WiFi 4 USB Nano Wireless Network Dongle Adapter for Linux – LoveRPi

Plug and play.

I bought these at the same time as a Le Potato board from LoveRPi but when I boot the board with the WiFi dongle I can’t see the device name in /proc/net/wireless (lsusb shows it present)

$ cat /proc/net/wireless
Inter-| sta-| Quality | Discarded packets | Missed | WE
face | tus | link level noise | nwid crypt frag retry misc | beacon | 22

Any ideas? I had the same issue with Armbian but enabled wifi just-worked there (I switched to the Index of /ci/ubuntu/22.04/ as I want SPI support).

Send your dmesg log as you plug it in. Usually USB issues are due to power issues.

I moved the dongle to an x64-86 machine and the behavior is the same. /proc/net/wireless has nothing useful for the GenBasic WiFi 4 USB Nano Wireless Network Dongle Adapter for Linux – LoveRPi devices when powered on and plugged in. Once wifi is enabled and connected a useful device name is available.

I’d recommend documenting an alternative device identification technique. The “lsusb -t” suggestion posted by @librecomputer elsewhere works great :slight_smile: networkctrl works but it is not installed in the Ubuntu Server image.

would the below install just the Libre kernel and headers?

echo “deb [ arch=${arm64_arch} ] Index of /debian ${bullseye]} main” > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-main.list

echo “deb [ arch=${arm64_arch} ] Index of /debian ${bullseye}-updates main” >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-main.list

apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 605C66F00D6C9793

apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 0E98404D386FA1D9

apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 648ACFD622F3D138

wget -O “/usr/share/keyrings/libre-computer-deb.gpg” ‘https://deb.libre.computer/repo/libre-computer-deb.gpg’ echo “deb [arch=${arm64_arch} signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/libre-computer-deb.gpg] Index of /repo/ linux main non-free” > “$root_mount_dir/etc/apt/sources.list.d/libre-computer-deb.list”

Thanks for the report. The command should be iw dev. Updated the OP.

Do not dual post the same issue in multiple threads.

> cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/libre-computer-deb.list 
deb [arch=arm64 signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/libre-computer-deb.gpg] https://deb.libre.computer/repo linux main non-free

Thanks.

Is it reasonable to expect this to work in Armbian or is that a fundamental misunderstanding of how these things work?

Armbian does a lot of things that are non-standard. We try to do everything as standard as possible. You have to ask Armbian folks.

Thank you.

Just wanted to know if it was an insane thing to try but seems it’s worth experimenting with.

Question: How do I change the hostname if I flashed the image onto an eMMC module? → Where does the user-data file live? and can I edit it from the CLI? or do I have to mount the eMMC drive to another computer and edit the file from there? if so, how do I mount the eMMC module?

Apologies if the response is very basic. I am just not sure.

Edit: I installed ubuntu-22.04.1-preinstalled-server-arm64+roc-rk3328-cc.img.xz on the eMMC 5.x Module and I used these steps Libre Computer AML-S905X-CC eMMC Flashing Steps from Linux to flash the module.

If you boot from SD card and then flash the eMMC from the SD card OS, you can mount the EFI partition on the eMMC via:

sudo mkdir /mnt/mmcblk0p1
sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/mmcblk0p1

The user-data will be in /mnt/mmcblk0p1.

How do I enable autologin for ubuntu server?

This is standard Ubuntu question and not specific to our boards. Google the version of Ubuntu with the prompt you need. By default, getty processes are started to handle the login prompt. You need to add parameters to the getty command to skip the login prompt.

Hello friends, I want to connect the following dongle but it is not possible, it is necessary to buy the one that you offer or what can I do to connect it to your board.

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/4000411283073.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.72.21ef194d3iRRet&gatewayAdapt=glo2esp

thanks in advance

Hello, I grabbed your most recent image for my board [ubuntu-22.04.2-preinstalled-base-arm64+all-h3-cc-h5.img.xz] but the ubuntu/ubuntu login didnt work, has this changed?

Base is not server. You’re using the wrong credentials.

Thank you, I don’t know how I missed that.

I’m having trouble to putting networking to run.

I have installed ubuntu server on my S905X.

I logged in and followed the “Configuring Network Settings such as WiFi or Wireless” section of this documentation.

The problem is that neither Ethernet nor WiFi is working.

This is my /etc/netplan/50-cloud-init.yaml:

network:
    ethernets:
        eth0:
            dhcp4: true
            optional: true
    wifis:
        wlxa047d7105ee0:
            optional: true
            access-points:
                "MY - WIFI - NAME - (IT HAS WHITE SPACES ON THE NAME)":
                    password: "my_wifi_password"
            dhcp4: true
    version: 2

After editing the /etc/netplan/50-cloud-init.yaml, I runned sudo netplan apply and then a reboot.

It didin’t worked.

As soon as a log in again and run a curl ifconfig.me or a ping 8.8.8.8 nothing happens.
From ping I get ping: connect: Network is unreachable.

If I run networkctl this is the output:

IDX LINK         TYPE     OPERATIONAL         SETUP    
  1 lo           loopback     carrier              unmanaged
  2 eth0         ether   no-carrier          configuring
  3 wlxa047d7105ee0    wlan    no-carrier      configuring

It gets stuck in configuring forever…

I have ethernet plugged in and my WiFi dongle on USB port.

Here is the output of iw dev:

phy#0
    Interface wlxa047d7105ee0
    if index 3
    wdev 0x1
    addr so:me:mac:ad:dr:es:s0
    type managed
    txpower 20.00 dBm

I also tried to create the file /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg.d/99-disable-network-config.cfg with the content network: {config: disabled}, rebooted and I still not able to use neither eth0 nor WiFi.

Do you have any suggestion?

netplan is a configuration renderer. It setups the configs for the actual network manager to use and connect. You need to check the logs of the network manager to see what is wrong with the connection attempt to the wireless network.