How to Install Home Assistant Core on Libre Computer Boards

Home Assistant can be installed in a few ways. This covers the installation of HA Core which is a more limited version of HA Supervised.

Start with Debian 12 base image:

sudo eatmydata apt-get install -y python3 python3-dev python3-venv python3-pip python3-numpy bluez libffi-dev libssl-dev libjpeg-dev zlib1g-dev autoconf build-essential libopenjp2-7 libtiff6 libturbojpeg0-dev tzdata ffmpeg liblapack3 liblapack-dev libatlas-base-dev

sudo adduser --system --group --home /srv/ha ha

hostname -I # Remember or copy your IP

sudo su -s /bin/bash ha

cd ~

python3 -m venv .

source bin/activate

python3 -m pip install wheel

pip3 install homeassistant

hass

After this is complete, go to the IP from the hostname -I command above in your browser and append :8123 to the end of the URL. The web page will guide you through the rest of the setup process.

After the basic setup is complete, it will show a loading window for 5-15 minutes or so as Home Assistant compiles a few packages. It takes this long since the code is serially compiling files instead of using all cores to compile.

Once the setup is completed and you are able to log into the dashboard, click Developer Tools → RESTART. This should cause the running hass process to terminate.

Create the following file /etc/systemd/system/home-assistant@ha.service with the content:

[Unit]
Description=Home Assistant
After=network-online.target

[Service]
Type=simple
User=%i
WorkingDirectory=/srv/%i/.homeassistant
ExecStart=/srv/ha/bin/hass -c "/srv/%i/.homeassistant"
RestartForceExitStatus=100
Restart=on-failure
RestartSec=10s

[Install]