AML-S805X-AC La Frite How to Update Board UEFI BIOS Firmware

This makes sense, I do have a 512MB board. Since I plan to use the waveshare lcd I think I might need to do some customization to u-boot since the hdmi out works on the 2019.04 version but sadly the newer images are unable to boot under that version.

That is a good reference point for us to test since it is working in 2019.04. We will investigate this issue and get back to you.

1 Like

Hello :wave: I’ve been looking at some ways to build a uboot binary to test on my end as well and have a question. Why is the spi dts in boot.libre.computer different from the aml-s805x dts in mainline linux?

Our u-boot is usually ahead of mainline by a few patches. They get integrated over time. However, some patches cannot go upstream.

It appears I am having the same issue as you. Did you ever find a solution?

Not yet sadly. There is this thread to follow up on this issue:

We have discovered a bug on the Linux side that we patched in recent kernels. However your problems are with u-boot right?

That is correct. This is a u-boot problem. I can boot into a OS but will only have graphics once the OS takes over.

how do you “flash” the above mentioned spiflash file? It’s not an img and my disk imager won’t recognize it. Thanks :slight_smile:

You can rename it to .img before flashing it. Windows and its tools are very sentimental to filenames.

1 Like

I tried to updated the firmware on my board which I got in August 2020. Unfortunately I got the following errors:

It seems that my firmware is too old for doing one of the current firmware updates.

As no image boots correctly on my board I appreciate a lot if I could get it revived with the current firmware.

Looks like that the firmware of my board has an old hash which does not support -v but when I connect the USB stick with the image on it to my Linux laptop, mount the file system, edit the boot.scr with hexedit, and overwrite the 2 occurences of -v with 2 spaces, then save, unmount, plug the USB stick into the board and boot, it errors:

It seems that the binary blob in the beginning of the file contains some checksum. How do I edit boot.scr correctly (or update its checksum)?

I succeeded with the firmware update, editing the -v out of the hash calls of boot.scr by overwriting each -v with 2 spaces using hexedit. To get a valid boot.scr again I followed the instructions of

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/EditBootscr

Now the update worked, so the assumption that I had a too old hash without -v was correct.

Update: It actually works!! I can flash the Ubuntu 23.04 server images to my USB stick now and the board boots them!

1 Like

Good improvising! Glad it worked for you.

Hello,
First of all thanks for all your hard work.
I’m trying to upgrade my board firmware with u-boot-2021-07-r1.bin but I found the script (u-boot-2021-07-r1.scr) is trying to get the old firmware file name (u-boot-2020-07-r7.bin) into it.
Also I found the links into README.txt are outlated.

Once again,
Thanks!

Follow the OP. The instructions you are referring to are not relevant and were created in 2019.

Sorry, what OP is?
Anyway, I think the information into Index of /board/libre-computer-project/libre-computer-board/aml-s805x-ac/firmware/ can be updated.

Original post. The top post on this thread. Do not use anything from that link.

Oh, ok.
Now I see, when I search for firmware (into the search box) this post is the first one I get. Then the correct one is Libre Computer Board Firmware Update Images, right?
Thanks!

Ok, now I’m getting this error