Libre Computer AML-S805X-AC eMMC Flashing Steps from Linux

Requirements

• La Frite board
  • eMMC 5.x module attached
  • USB Type A to USB Type A cable
  • Any Linux computer (not AMD) or SBC (Windows/Mac OS might work, untested)

Install the necessary tools and clone pyamlboot:

sudo apt install -y python3-usb
git clone --single-branch https://github.com/libre-computer-project/pyamlboot.git -b scripts
  1. Detach all peripherals including HDMI cable, USB devices, and MicroUSB power.
  2. Plug one end of the USB Type A cable into your computer/SBC with pyamlboot.
  3. Press and hold the K11/Uboot button on the board while attaching the other end of the USB Type A cable into the left USB port next to the IR sensor. Release button after the board lights up.
  4. Attach auxiliary power via MicroUSB if your computer/SBC does not provide enough. (Optional)

Below are two actions. Only run one of the following actions per connect. If you need to run a different action, power off the board completely (usually HDMI, MicroUSB, and USB Type A) and repeat from step 3.

To erase eMMC user partition table and bootloader, run the following:

sudo pyamlboot/run.sh aml-s805x-ac erase-emmc
# erases first 1MB of eMMC user hardware partition
# this includes any MBR/GPT partition table and bootloader

To turn eMMC into a virtual flash drive to flash images, run the following:

sudo pyamlboot/run.sh aml-s805x-ac ums-emmc
# exposes eMMC user hardware partition as a flash drive after 5 seconds
# you do not have to erase the eMMC first before flashing images

Wait 10 seconds and a virtual flash drive should appear to your Linux machine/SBC. You can use gnome-disk-imager or dd to flash any of our images directly to the eMMC. This method of dumping to eMMC is limited by the Porgrammable IO USB transfer mode which has a peak write speed of around 10MB/s.

There is a known issue with AMD machines timing out on USB transfers. We have yet to figure out a workaround so please use Intel machines or an SBC to do this. If anyone at AMD is reading this, please fix your USB please :smiley:

erase+flash work fine on macOS 12.6.1 on a 2016 MBP.

i have libusb1.0 installed too for a separate project, so those shared libraries might be a requirement, not sure.

flashed with RPi imager and i was able to boot into ubuntu 22.04 base with no problems.

happy the eMMC 5.x modules came back into stock!

best
William

1 Like

Good to know. We don’t have any Apple products to test this so it’s good that you got it working.

A bit of a newbie with these devices.
Rasperry Pi 3B+ w/ raspian. After first successful run to convert to virtual flash, I installed a CLI distro of Armbian- which failed to boot in spectacular fashion. Decided to try a lite version of Raspian. Virtual Flash is no longer visible on the Pi as USB device. Do I need to reflash the emmc? Does it need to be reformatted first? Is the emmc toast?

I was able to get the script to run without any errors, but my 805x isn’t showing as a device anywhere. Running Fedora if that’s important. Is there anything I might be missing here?

If you attach a HDMI screen, what does it say?

You can disregard, I’m a ding-dong and didn’t realize the eMMC is a separate board to be acquired. Thanks for the quick reply though!

1 Like