Raspbian 10 Buster for Libre Computer Boards

The images are located on our distro server. If you encounter any problems, please review the general troubleshoot guide and reply to the post with your issue related to this image.

1. Use the image with a suffix that matches your board! eg. +aml-s905x-cc.img.xz
  2. Decompress/extract the xz compressed image file ending in .img.xz with 7-zip.
  3. Write to a MicroSD card with a bit-accurate flashing tool or Raspberry Pi Imager for lite/headless!

We will be continuously releasing images to address the issues discovered.

Headless Lite Setup

The default username and password for Raspbian buster images is pi and raspberry.

You can use Raspberry Pi Imager to perform this setup through the GUI on first boot or you can pre-configure the image by adding files in the first partition (/boot/efi):

• To enable SSH by default, create a blank file called ssh with no file extension.
  • To setup wireless by default, create a file called wpa_supplicant.conf with the content below and replace the appropriate connection parameters COUNTRY_ISO_CODE, NETWORK_SSID, and NETWORK_PASSWORD
country=COUNTRY_ISO_CODE
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
network={
  ssid="NETWORK_SSID"
  scan_ssid=1
  psk="NETWORK_PASSWORD"
  key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}

Changes from stock Raspbian for Raspberry Pi

• Smaller image size for faster flashing (~40% smaller/faster)
  • Transparent disk resize to MicroSD card size without reboot
  • Checksummed disk data and metadata (reduces invisible MicroSD card errors/failures)
  • Copy-on-write and zstd compressed filesystem (reduces write-amplification and improves MicroSD card life)
  • GRUB bootloader
  • Latest Linux kernels with continuous updates
  • Desktop OpenGL ES 2.0 acceleration out of the box

What is different?

• config.txt does not affect anything so dtoverlay entries do not work!
  • cmdline.txt does not change kernel parameters! You need to follow normal Linux distro instructions and update /etc/default/grub
  • GPIO numbers need to be translated using the wiring tool
  • software that utilize Raspberry Pi specific hardware features will not work!

“Transparent disk resize to MicroSD card size without reboot”

Can you tell me where I can find the command that is being run to do this?

I have customized the Raspian 10 image for my needs and then shrunk it back down with your lift tool. I’ve had no luck finding the correct command (btrfs, parted, or raspi-config) to expand the btrfs partition back out to utilize the entire sdcard again.

Thank you for all the hard work you guys are doing!

Expanding the partition using raspi-config, then issuing the command:

sudo btrfs filesystem resize max /

seems to have done the trick.

What version of the La Frite firmware would allow me to run Raspian 10 Buster headless? I’ve been getting boot errors every time across different firmware updates.

closest I’ve gotten is the board recognizing the OS but it quits after these commands
EFI stub: using dtb from configuration table
EFI stub: exiting boot serves

Have you updated the firmware using this image? https://boot.libre.computer/ci/aml-s805x-ac

I have same error as you with Solitude/Alta on flatcar.

Firmware updated (for my part)

Flatcar probably does not have the set of configs enabled. Is it using the upstream ARM64 defconfig file for Linux? Is it using the latest version of Linux? Just because it has an UEFI stub does not mean the Linux is packaged with the arm64 defconfig, especially if they customize it for minimization. You need to enable debug console via grub by modifying the linux cmdline and check where it’s getting stuck. My guess is the driver configs were left out which you would need to contact the Flatcar.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips
I will try to go this way, it’s a first step for me to look at.