Batocera.linux for Libre Computer Boards

Batocera.linux is a distribution based on buildroot targeted for retro-gaming based on libretro/retroarch. The naming convention for our boards on the download pages are slightly different than our convention.

Please note that the direct links might be old or broken and we recommend going to the download page.

All boards will be supported in the future.

The AML-S905X-CC image can be also be used on the following boards with a minor modification:

• AML-S805X-AC La Frite
  • AML-S905X-CC-V2 Sweet Potato
  • AML-S905D-PC Tartiflette

In the first FAT partition, remove the line starting with FDT from extlinux/extlinux.conf.

I am testing this image: batocera-s905-lepotato-36-20230206.img

Unfortunately it doesn’t shutdown, I checked for updates but there weren’t with the default setting.

Two things come up in my mind though:

• Where should I send stuff like logs and the likes, to you or to Batocera?
  • Do you recommend to switch on the “development” branch in order to get updates or fixing?

Thanks,

F.

I upgraded to the development release but the issue continues and board doesn’t shutdown at all.

Use the libretech-flash-tool to overwrite the batocera bootloader. This will force it to use ours and the board will shutdown properly.

1 Like

Has anyone got dreamcast games running on their LePotato Batocera?

I’m able to play the content downloader game, Volgarr, but Crazy Taxi is very sluggish.

Please advise, if possible, of any settings tweaks I might need to do to get it running more smoothly, thank you!

Crazy Taxi is very taxing on the board, with the current software setup. It is more playable by turning on “auto frameskip” to maximum level inside of the the “core options” in the the retroarch menu.

Is there a tutorial on how to use the LIBRETECH-FLASH-TOOL?
I am currently running Batocera 38 on the Le Potato 2gb Ram and personally I love it! The games from Atari 2600 up to PSP play very well. However the “shutdown” button works only as a reset. There is a 7 second delay from the LED’s turning off before it boots back up. I am using a NES-PI sytle case with a toggle switch off of the power supply. I have been clicking shutdown and waiting 3 seconds after the LEDS are off to flip toggle. I hope that this method is safe for the micro-sd card.

The directions for the tool are here:

It does need to be run on linux via an account that has access or can sudo to have access to the flash drive to run.

I can validate that loading the libre boot loader aftrer writing the batocera image does fix the reboot and shutdown issues.

1 Like

See my notification below. It’s a bit risky to do and you need a linux or unix machine to run it safely. I wouldn’t trust cygwin or anything like that. And I would back up you batocera drive and config way before doing it and re-writing the boot loader always comes with some risk

1 Like

Libre team, after doing a lot of testing this week, I have found some issues.

If the machine has been up for 30 minutes or so, I can issue the command from menu or command prompt and the potato reboots successfully.

Once it has been up for a while, this does not happen. The no Blue LED illuminated, Green LED Flashes and it takes a manual power pull to get the unit to reboot. Not sure what to make of it, any suggestions?

I used the flash tool to flash the libre boot loader on already.

You can report this to the Batocera crew. It might be something to do with suspend or HDMI wakeup. An UART cable might also help as you can get access to the board even if HDMI is not running since kernel messages can be printed. Having the last information it printed is critical to debugging something like this.

"All boards will be supported in the future "…?

Seems like the Renegade link is broken and the main Batocera download page doesn’t reference the Renegade.

That said the Batocera Image works flawlessly on the Le Potato! Except only HDMI audio - nothing from the 3.5mm output, which has previously been reported.

You should be able to tune alsamixer in the Batocera images: Libre Computer Le Potato AML-S905X-CC No Analog Audio Issues with Alsamixer and High Voltage

The Renegade images should work: Index of /batocera/roc-cc/

I test playing potential of retro gaming on inexpensive boards less than $30. Decided to try a little higher price $35 for the le potato 2GB.

At first after getting used to set up on the le potato. I was impressed how batocera plays n64 roms and other emulators psp which other OS did poorly.

But i noticed batacera on my le Potato when i select shutdown it reboots. When I select restart it shuts down.

Also not all systems are on it. No folders for 3do, atari lynx and a few others which i do have access to on other OS systems for le potato 2GB. The missing emulators are playing on other development boards with different OS. I have for example orange pi 1GB and banana pi 512MB do work but i dont use batocera on those boards.

Maybe le potato was deprived of some systems because they might not work at all but i dont know. I wish i was able to add emulators to batocera to see for myself but i cant figure it out like the other retro OS.

Ideally, batocera should use our bootloaders from here: https://boot.libre.computer/release/aml-s905x-cc/aml-s905x-cc-boot.bin

It doesn’t have the problems that the batocera built bootloaders have.

Does an image exist that would work on Alta? I may be better off using it for HAOS but am trying a few different use cases. I didn’t see anything for generic aarch64.